If you feel you have been mistreated while in the care of Oranga Tamariki-Ministry for Children, you can make a claim.

Abuse in Care – Make a Claim

We are responsible for resolving claims of abuse or neglect in State Care relating to events from 1 April 2017.

If you would like to make a claim, please talk to us. We want to listen to your experience and make things right. You will have a worker assigned to you who will be with you through-out the process. They will listen to any experiences you want to share with us and talk to you about what you can expect from us.

How do I start the process?

You can start the claim process by: 

  • emailing us at, or
  • calling us on 0508 326 459 and asking to be put through to the Feedback and Complaints team.

An advisor will be appointed to assist you and will contact you to start the process of listening to your experience and to find out more information on your claim.

If your claim is regarding abuse in State care before 1 April 2017, please contact the Ministry of Social Development.

You can also use the above contact details to ask us questions on, for example, how you may get access to information, held by Oranga Tamariki, to support your claim.

Published: October 21, 2020