Transition to adulthood
Young people leaving our care or a youth justice residence face some big challenges. Our Transition Support Service has been designed together with young people, using insights gathered through a co-design process.
Young people have told us they need:
- responsive, flexible, relationship-based support
- someone to be there for them
- persistent support, despite their behaviour and decisions
- support that can coordinate what they need from their communities, whānau, hapū and iwi, and adult services.
What will Transition Support mean to young people?
We want to ensure young people leaving our care have the support and opportunities they need to successfully transition to adulthood and achieve their goals.
Young people will:
- have a transition worker to walk alongside them and maintain regular contact up to the age of 21
- be supported to remain living or return to living with a caregiver between 18 to 21 years of age – something they haven't been able to do before
- be able to request advice and assistance from us after they leave care until they turn 25.
If you’d like to know if you’re eligible for this service, call us on 0800 55 89 89.
Published: July 12, 2019 · Updated: July 8, 2020