Becoming a care partner
This page provides information on the process that organisations go through to become a care partner and the support that is available.
Becoming a care partner process
A care partner is an organisation that provides care for a child who is in state care and in custody under the Oranga Tamariki Act. The National Care Standards apply.
There are four phases in the process to becoming a care partner:
- care partner readiness
- confirmation of partner
- transition into the Quality Assurance cycle.
The following principles underpin the process of becoming a care partner:
- Tamariki Māori should be with whānau, hapū and iwi wherever possible.
- Before approving new care partners, we need to consider what is already provided in the local area and talk with key stakeholders.
- We will provide resources and support for new care partners to provide care for tamariki or children.
- We work collectively and in partnership to co-design services and improve the experiences and outcomes of tamariki or children in care.
- Together we ensure our statutory responsibilities to assess the needs of the child and have the right plans in place for them.
Te Kāhui Kāhu
The process to become a care partner requires both accreditation with Te Kāhui Kāhu and approval by Oranga Tamariki under section 396 of the Oranga Tamariki Act.
For more information about Te Kāhui Kāhu accreditation of social services, visit their website.
If your organisation is considering becoming a care partner, get in touch with your local Partnering for Outcomes contact and the Partnering for Outcomes National Quality Hub: PfOQuality@ot.govt.nz
For more information about the Quality Assurance function and cycle, visit the Quality Assurance page on our website.
Becoming a care partner guidance
This guidance provides information on the process for organisations that are interested in becoming a care partner and the way they will be supported to gain approval to provide quality care services for tamariki.
Pdf, 923 KB
Becoming a care partner readiness template
This template should be completed by partners that have already developed a relationship with Oranga Tamariki and have established an intent to contract.
Word, 957 KB
Is this page helpful?
Published: August 15, 2022