Contact us

Anyone who is worried about a child or young person can make a report of concern to us or the Police. You can also contact us for enquiries about our services.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger, call:


Care and Protection Residences

If you have any concerns regarding the issues raised at Te Oranga or any of our care and protection residences please call

0508 326 459

Making a report of concern

If you're worried about a child and want to make a referral or report of concern, call us on freephone:

0508 326 459

or email

Get in touch if you think a child or young person may be:

  • unsafe or in danger of harm
  • suffering from ill-treatment, abuse or neglect
  • or you’re not sure if you should be concerned, and want advice, or just to talk things through.

A social worker will work out how urgent this is, and the best thing to do next.  

What we'll need to know when you get in touch

  • what you're worried about
  • details of any incidents, including dates
  • details about the child or young person and their whānau or family, such as names and addresses.

After hours

From 5pm to 8am Monday to Friday, weekends and public holidays, social workers will only assess emergency situations. But we encourage you to call if you're unsure.

General enquiries

If your enquiry is not urgent or about a child, you can also call our main line:

0508 326 459

or email

General mailing address:
Oranga Tamariki National Office 
PO Box 546
New Zealand

Transitions Support Service

The Transition Support Service can help young people who are leaving care or youth justice up to the age of 25 years.

Call our free helpline and chat to one of our friendly youth workers. We’re here to listen and help you.
We can support you to:

  • Find a place to live
  • Get your driver’s licence
  • Find a job
  • Get legal advice
  • Get counselling
  • Enrol in a training course
  • Get food

Call 0800 55 89 89 to see how we can help. Getting help from our Transition Support Service won’t affect any other services you use or benefits you receive.


If your query is adoption related:

Make an enquiry using our online form

or call 0508 326 459

Please include your location in New Zealand or overseas so that the relevant Adoption Service team can respond to your enquiry.


24/7 Caregiver Guidance and Advice line:
Call 0508 227 377

Children in care

If you are a child or young person in care you can let us know how you are getting on.

Tell us what you think

Abuse in Care – Make a Claim

If you feel you have been harmed while in the care of Oranga Tamariki-Ministry for Children please talk to us.

Find out more about making a claim


If you're a school: 
Call 0508 EDASSIST (0508 332 774)


If you're overseas:
Call +64 9 912 3820

Personal information requests

To request personal information held by us:
Call 0508 326 459 and ask for Customer Information Requests


Media enquiries only:
Call 0800 712 315

Published: March 25, 2017 · Updated: January 11, 2023